Fall is here and I couldn't be happier! This time of year I love nothing more than warming our house with the heat of an oven and the smell of cookies baking wafting throughout the house! These sweet cookies are soft, chewy and packed with flavor! The texture and flavor is wonderful on its own, but I loved the addition of a pumpkin spiced buttercream frosting to add a little decadence to the almost cakey consistency. They were an absolute hit in my house, perfect for anyone who loves cinnamon and pumpkin spice!
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1/4 cup honey
2 Tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons corn starch
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt, optional and to taste
- Combine the butter, sugar, egg, and beat on medium-high speed until well-creamed in a standard mixer until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes (or use a hand mixer and beat for at least 7 minutes). Do not shortcut the creaming process; make sure dough is very light in color and fluffy.
- Add the honey, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and beat on medium-high speed until combined and smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, optional salt, and mix until just combined, about 1 minute.
- Form heaping two tablespoon mounds (I made 17). Place mounds on a large plate, flatten mounds very slightly with your palm, (for optimal results cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or up to 5 days, before baking. Baking with warm dough will result in thinner and flatter cookies.)
- Preheat oven to 350F, line baking sheets with silicon baking mats, or spray with cooking spray. Place mounds on baking sheets, spaced at least 2 inches apart (I bake 8 cookies per sheet). Bake for 8 to 9 minutes, or until edges have set and tops are just beginning to set, even if undercooked, pale, and glossy in the center.
- Remove from baking sheets once set and transfer to cooling racks.
- Optional: Frost once cool.