So lately I've been testing out crowd sourcing ideas on Facebook, and it's been a fun little experiment. I posed the question last week - 'I'm headed to a large outdoor picnic this weekend, what baked good should I bring?' - so many fun answers! My favorite was, "If you have the time, French Macaroons!"
Ok well, 2 kids - I barely have the time to apply eyeliner everyday, let alone craft homemade French Macaroons, however Coconut Macaroons just might work! So I checked my pantry, and sure enough, I already had almost everything I needed! These are made up of 5 simple ingredients and take VERY little time to prep. Easy recipe + light, summery coconut flavor = the perfect sweet to bring to any party all spring/summer long!
This recipe comes from Ina Garten of The Barefoot Contessa, so you know they're the best! Dipping the bottoms in chocolate is optional - but you know you want to!
- 14 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until they make medium-firm peaks.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.
- Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper using either a 1 3/4-inch diameter ice cream scoop, or 2 teaspoons.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Optional Step - After Macaroons have cooled, melt 3/4 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate chips and dip bottoms into chocolate, letting sit until hardened.
The yield is approximately 20 cookies - I made a double recipe, and not a single cookie was left!