As you may have seen on my Instagram (@touchofcurl) or Snapchat (ckdoesitright) I've been really focusing on my fitness these last couple months post baby. After having Josie I never made fitness a priority, and while all the weight came off in time, I never felt as connected to my body, or as at peace in my mind as I do when I'm consistently working out.
I'm a true believer in finding your own favorite way to get your body moving, because fitness is never one size fits all. I hate running, but I absolutely love hot yoga, so I do what works for me. I've recently made the switch from Corepower (which I practiced at for the last 4 years) to Modo Hot Yoga in Minneapolis. If you're in the area, I highly suggest trying them out and taking them up on their first month for $40 deal! One of my favorite parts of the studio is the option to take barre classes as well! I make it into the studio typically 4-5 days a week for a mixture of yoga and barre.
I've been pretty motivated by our upcoming wedding this summer - but even with that looming over me I still have days when it's so hard to get myself to the studio. But with athleisure trending hard, it's never been easier to find fun workout clothes to motivate you, and can be worn in and outside of the gym.
While it seems like everyone is dipping into the athleisure space (even brands like free people and stores like forever 21!) I am most comfortable working out in quality, high functioning pieces that last for years. Less expensive and trendy items will often stretch out and leave me unsupported, which doesn't work for me! So, I've rounded up some of my workout essentials which I've been wearing over and over again and have truly stood the test of time.
1. Nike Sidewinder Epic Lux - I've had these in black and have been wearing them for close to 4 years! They hold their shape wear after wear and wash after wash, and this purple pattern is seriously making me want to upgrade my black pair!
2. Nike Roshe - I live in Nike's, and the Roshe design is great for transitioning from the gym to everyday life.
3. True Self Tank - This just popped up on lulu as a new design and I'm having a hard time deciding if it's for working out or going out! For hot yoga, the less clothes the better, and I love how much free movement this design gives you.
4. Enhearten Tank - Hands down my favorite tank. I've owned 3-4 of these for years and years and have used them for every activity from running to yoga to that one time I tried playing racket ball (never again). This is the only built in bra I've ever found which supports me enough that no extra sports bra is needed. Highly supportive, comfortable and made to last!
5. Nike Free Flyknit - I used to be all high heels all the time, but now I pretty much just live in my flyknits. I'm devoted to these lightweight, breathable, and supportive little kicks. From hiking to chasing after Josie on the playground, you'll find me in these. They come in a million colors, but I LOVE the sleek look of the black.
6. Real Quick Tight - I got these recently when I was looking for a pair of higher waisted yoga pants which would hold in my mom pouch while I worked on getting rid of it. Mission accomplished! These mean what they say, they're real tight - more supportive than lulu's traditional yoga pant, and so comfortable. Plus this eye catching pattern has snagged me more than a couple compliments.
7. Nike Pro Classic Tracer - I've always been a fan of Nike's sports bras. They're both supportive and lightweight, bonus for the great styles. This style is available in 2 colors and is on sale!
8. 'World's Okayest Runner' Tank - Ok, this isn't something I've tested out - but it's fun to not take yourself too seriously while working out sometimes, and this made me chuckle :)
9. Love Tee 2 - You know that essential t-shirt which drapes perfectly, is broken in and comfortable and you can wear with everything? Well this is it, and it also just happens to be sweat wicking and made for hard wear. I swear I wear this more outside of yoga than in, but I love the dual functionality!
10. The Reversible (big) Mat - This is the mat I purchased 4 years ago when I began to seriously practice yoga, and I've been so happy with the purchase. It's lightweight, easy to clean and provides a great surface for your hands to grip while flowing through endless downward dogs.
11. Resistance Bands - I was first turned on to these bands in barre class, and have since started using them at home when I can't make it into the studio. 10 minutes using these, and I can feel myself getting closer to the toned arms I'm aiming for at my wedding! I have a post coming next week on how to incorporate resistance bands into your at home workout!
12. Jet Crop Slim - I have these in black, but love them so much I'm strongly considering snagging this gray pair as well. These are my everything BUT yoga pants. Designed for an active lifestyle, these are the perfect weekend pant which will take you from long walks to relaxing on the couch to climbing after kids on the playground. As comfortable as pajamas and as stretchy as leggings. Just buy them and thank me later.